Thursday, August 2, 2007

The current state of events.

I am a new mom and newly wed. My husband and I have a beautiful baby boy, Nathen, who happens to have Down's syndrome. Nathen requires open heart surgery to fix as the cardiologist puts it a HUGE hole in his heart - he basically has a 2 chambered heart with a single valve.
Nathen is a God send. We love him more than life itself and honestly do not think he is "special".
However Nathen is not growing and that is concerning. He is not growing because his heart is burning all his calories - that and he is a busy baby. He is not even 3 months old and is on 2 medications and 5 suppliments. Now I have to start adding conola oil to his milk in hopes that the added fat will plump him up.
My husband needs a kidney transplant and is on hime dialysis - everyday is a medical adventure in our house. But, as Canadians we are getting our tax dollars worth and probably yours as well from our healthcare system.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new addition.

There are several blogs in my blogroll of little ones who have had successful heart surgeries.

"Unringing the bell"
"Banana Migraine"
"Lovely and Amazing"

It is a new journey adjusting to having a child with Down sydnrome.

If you have any questions at all, there is a link for my email in my blog.

Jacquie said...

I looked into those thank-you unfortunately 2 weeks before heart surgery Nathen's little heart gave out. We miss him terribly.